Friday, April 11

Life through Death~

Stabat mater dolorosa                                  At the cross her station keeping
iuxta Crucem lacrimosa                            stood the mournful mother weeping
 dum pendebat Filius                                               close to Jesus to the last
~/~/~

One of my favorite things about Lent are the Stations of the Cross, performed each Friday at the church.  They are a beautiful tradition which dates back to the fifth century.  Each station is a step of self-sacrifice and greatest love.  


This.  It is the most beautiful Way of the Cross ever.  St. Alphonsus Liguori writes from his heart in a way that cannot help but move you.  {all words in italics are from this book}
~/~/~

Cuius animam gementem                        Through her heart His sorrow sharing
contristatem et dolentem                                     all His bitter anguish bearing
pertransivit gladius                                   now at length the sword has passed


“We adore you, O Christ, and we praise You.” “Because by Your holy cross You have redeemed the world.”
The church is hushed. 
 “My most beloved Jesus, I embrace all the sufferings You have destined for me until death.” 
 There are creaks and deep, concentrated breathing as knees genuflect, stand, kneel.
“With all my heart I repent of ever having offended You.”
 The candles of the servers flicker as the spoken words of the meditation rise and fall. 


“Grant that in all my temptations I may always have recourse to You.”
The responses break forth from the people, strong and full.  (you try not to laugh as your little sister solemnly and seriously pronounces 'wounds' as 'wow-nds')
“I beg You by all You suffered in carrying Your cross, to help me carry mine with Your perfect peace and resignation.” 
Hearts are lifted wholly to God, rising as if on incense. 

Quis est homo qui non fleret                     Is there one who would not weep
matren Christi si videret                              whelmed in miseries so deep
   in tanto supplicio                                   Christ's dear mother to behold

 The ‘Stabat Mater’ swells in a heart-aching, lovely melody. 
“Jesus and Mary gazed at each other and their looks became as so many arrows to wound those hearts which loved each other so tenderly.”
Oh, the sorrow in these words!
“The cruelty of His executioners was excessive; they tried to hasten His steps though He barely had strength to move.” 


Pro peccatis suae gentis                                 Bruised, derided, cursed, defiled
vidit Iesum in tormentis                                        she beheld her tender child
et flagellis subditum                                       all with bloody scourges rent

Jesus, You went through so much for me – and yet I am still stubborn and blind to Your love!
“My despised Jesus, nail my heart to the cross, that it may always remain there to love You and never leave You again.”
Mother Mary, although it is burdened with many defects, I entrust my heart to your Son through you.
“Have pity for your Savior, so cruelly treated!”


Holy week begins soon.  We must start to prepare our hearts.

{images via Pinterest.  -My sister and I used to argue that "Ben Hur Gives Jesus a Drink of Water" should have been included as a station... :P}

2 comments:

  1. Michelangelo's "Pieta" is probably the most beautiful sculpture EVER created, in my humble opinion. How can a simple block of marble evoke such strong, strong emotions! His Blessed Mother and Christ are so lovely. Mary's gentle, sorrow-filled face! Oh my goodness. (Hahaha, I love Ben-Hur. <3 That would be quite the awesome station!) Thank you so much! Blessings, Peregrin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Pieta is filled with a heavenly, unearthly beauty. It has no equal among art, in *my* humble opinion. And the fact that Michelangelo was twenty-five/four when he sculpted it!! The Virgin's face is the most beautiful feminine face... anyway, rant over. Thank you and God bless!

      Delete

I would love to hear your thoughts! Courteous discussion is most welcome. God bless!